Thursday, April 12, 2012

Varas Vinho Tinto, 3 Liter Box (4 bottles), $21.95 ($5.49/bottle), Portugal: This smooth Portuguese red is a blend of Castelão (45%), Tinta Roriz (25%), Tinta Barroca (20%) and Pinot Noir (10%). The vineyards are located near Lisbon, planted in sunny gentle slopes of clay and limestone soils. The wine was aged in oak barrels. I found this wine extremely interesting because it came from a box. I was a little hesitant at first because it was boxed, but after trying it I found it was not that bad! The nose was a little woody and kind of spicy. I also smelled a little sweetish. I thought it was fairly decent on the palate. It was smooth and oaky with perhaps a hint of cherries or some type of red berries. It was a little too dry for my taste, but I thought it was a fairly decent wine overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment