Sunday, March 18, 2012






Hogue White Riesling Late Harvest 2010, $10.99: This USA Washington Riesling wine offers up aromas and flavors of orange peel, honeyed lemon, stone fruit and vanilla. A pleasing mineral character adds depth, and the signature tangerine and apricot linger on the finish. This is dessert sipper will pair well with poached pears, fruit sorbet or warm apple pie. For a treat, try it chilled as an aperitif on a warm summer afternoon. I bought this wine because I do love Riesling, however, I was a little bit unimpressed. On the nose it smelt kind of spoiled and sour and a little bit of gasoline. On the mouth, it was kind of watery and the flavor just did not shine thorough. I did not try this with food, and maybe that would change the flavor of it, but by itself, I did not love it.






Shine Heinz Eifel 2010, Riesling, $8.95: This German wine from the Pfalz region of Germany is described as having flint and mineral notes that accent pineapple and lime aromas, while on the palate, the wine shows plenty of ripe, citrusy fruit flavors. Tangy acids on the long finish provide balance. I bought this wine once again because it is a Riesling and I have been on a Riesling kick lately. It was a little sweet, but not too sweet which I liked. I did smell some pineapple and lime, which was very interesting. It did have a little acid when I tasted it, but overall, I found that it was a very good wine. I did try it with food, but I thought overall if just brought out the acid flavor, and not much else.

No comments:

Post a Comment